At the foothills of the Cederberg Mountains only 270km from Cape Town, Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve & Wellness Retreat is an ecological oasis within a roughly hewn and magical land. This spiritual retreat is a haven of staggering beauty and timeless tranquillity, where abundant wildlife roam free. Offering a distinctive wilderness experience among wide open plains, ancient sandstone formations and crystal clear waterfalls, it is a place to feel the pulse of an extraordinary and ancient landscape, and reconnect with nature and the essence of life. The multi-award-winning lodge is a proud Relais & Chateaux member, and forms part of the family-run Red Carnation Hotel Collection. Sixteen luxurious and indulgently comfortable guest rooms and suites are each individually designed with natural materials and elegant finishes, offering breathtaking views across the indigenous gardens. Koro Lodge, the private villa, is located in a secluded corner of the reserve (4 km away from the Main Lodge). Welcoming children of all ages, this independently catered for villa is ideally suited to families and friends travelling together, and includes the services of a personal chef and guide. Lauded for its award-winning wine list and authentic Cape cuisine, Bushmans Kloof offers an extraordinary dining experience with a taste profusion of healthy, home-style comfort food served at any of the spectacular dining venues. These include cozy fireside dining in the Homestead or Makana, picnics in the fynbos amidst soaring rock formations and cascading waterfalls, and barbecues at Embers under magical starry skies. Renowned equally for its warm, caring service, exceptional hospitality, and delicious organic cuisine, no wonder Bushmans Kloof has been included on the coveted Condé Nast Traveller UK Gold List for Best Hotels for Food in Africa, Middle East and the Indian Ocean three years in a row (2010, 2011 and 2012). Bushmans Kloof is a place of natural wonder where guests may indulge in an infinite range of exhilarating activities, or do absolutely nothing but inhale the beauty and tranquility of nature. A South African Natural Heritage site, it boasts an abundance of indigenous flora and fauna, including many endangered species, and is home to over 150 kinds of birds, 750 plant species and over 35 species of mammals, including the rare Cape mountain zebra. A host of enriching, relaxing and invigorating experiences are on offer, including educational talks at the Heritage Centre, and guided walks to some of 130 ancient Bushman rock art sites that are found in the reserve. This provides an extraordinary opportunity to gain deeper insight into the fascinating history of the Bushman in the Cederberg wilderness area. Guests may also participate in an assortment of exhilarating outdoor activities such as nature drives, botanical walks, mountain biking, archery and fly fishing. The intimate Spa provides welcome sanctuary with an inspiring holistic healing and wellness focus deeply rooted in nature, offers solace for body, mind and spirit. Succumb to the peaceful sounds of nature at the riverside Spa Gazebo and lose yourself in a timeless world of luxury and comfort in this captivating wilderness reserve.
- Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve
- Cederberg Mountains
- Near Clanwilliam
- Western Cape, 7745
- South Africa
The ultimate wilderness experience to escape, rest, heal and be at one with nature, with wide open plains, mystical rock formations, crystal clear waterfalls and an abundance of flora and fauna. A 7500 hectare malaria and predator free haven nestled at the foothills of the Cederberg Mountains, just 270km from Cape Town. This South African Natural Heritage Site is home to over 130 documented Bushman rock art sites and the internationally renowned Rooibos tea.
Directions to Hotel
1. Depart Cape Town via N1.
2. Before Century City/Ratanga Junction, take the N7 off-ramp towards Malmesbury.
3. Continue past Malmesbury, towards Moorreesburg, Piketburg and Citrusdal to enter the Olifants River Valley (route takes approximately 2 hours).
4. Pass the Clanwilliam Dam (located on the right hand side of the road) and turn right onto the R364 to Lamberts Bay/Clanwilliam.
5. At the T-junction, turn right to Clanwilliam.
6. When entering the town, a petrol station is located on the left hand side of the road. NB: Fill up with petrol if required.
7. From Clanwilliam to the lodge gate is approximately 40km. Continue straight on the R364 towards Wupperthal and Calvinia and cross a bridge - follow this tarred road for approximately 25km, past 'Louis Leipoldt's Grave' and over the Pakhuis Pass.
8. Cross a low bridge over the Brandewyn's River.
9. Continue past a sign on the left hand side to 'Traveller's Rest'.
10. After travelling for 800m, the Bushmans Kloof gate will be on your right hand side.
11. Turn right at the Bushmans Kloof gate (recommended speeed in the reserve - 40km per hour).
12. Continue straight, crossing a small bridge below the dam wall and follow the signs to the lodge.
13. Continue towards the lodge and on arrival please park your car next to the big Blue Gum trees and the building marked 'Reception'.
We would like to draw your attention to the fact that the lodge gates close at 17h00 daily. Please note that there is no mobile reception from Clanwilliam.
- - Business Center
- - Meeting Space
- - Executive Retreat
- - Fine Dining on Site
- - Fitness Center
- - Pool, Outdoor
- - Spa Facility
- - Archery
- - Biking, Mountain
- - Dining
- - Ecological Tourism
- - Fishing - Fly
- - Hiking
- - Jogging & Running
Conde Nast Traveler 2014 Gold List for Best Hotels in Africa and the Middle East
Go Green - Luxury Eco-Friendly Hotels
Red Carnation Luxury Hotels
Whichever Red Carnation Hotel you choose to stay at, whether it be in London, Dorset, Geneva, or even the Western Cape in South Africa, you will find a team of staff who are passionate about providing...
The Most Exotic, Unusual, and Remote Luxury Hotels
Interested in a luxury experience that's off the beaten path? Maybe you want to heli-ski, wander through the desert, get lost in a lush tropical forest, sleep in a tent, or arrive by float plane....
Presidential Suite at One&Only Cape Town
Flanked by the Victoria & Albert Waterfront and Table Mountain,...Read more >>
Five Star Perks at Twelve 12 Apostles Hotel
Set along Cape Town's scenic route, the Twelve Apostles Hotel...Read more >>
Cool Pools: Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve
Cool Pools: Bushmans Kloof Wilderness ReserveRead more >>