LUXURY HOTEL INSIDER
The Luxury Hotel Insider
: Exclusive luxury hotel deals, features and special rates from the luxury hotel experts at Five Star Alliance.
Named one of Tripbase's Best Luxury Travel Blogs for 2011
, below are Five Star Alliance's newest articles featuring exclusive information on luxury hotels worldwide including special offers and deals at the world's best hotels.
Buckingham Palace Road takes its name from nearby Buckingham Palace. The Rubens At The Palace forms part of the grounds and stabling of a much earlier house on this site, once owned by John Sheffield, Earl of Mulgrave.
By 1841 the site of the present hotel was accommodating the shops of a druggist and a ham and tongue dealer named Thomas Murley. The firm of Thomas Murley & Son continued here until the mid-1880s. Their premises then passed into use as a law stationer's shop. In 1885 the site was sold and most likely redeveloped. From 1890 until about 1906 it was occupied by the Aerated Bread Company.
The Rubens at the Palace, originally called the Hotel Rubens, came to life on this site in 1912.The hotel immediately became popular with debutantes and others attending functions at Buckingham Palace. During the Second World War it was taken over by General Sikorski's Free State Polish Army, which used it as its headquarters. Another statesman in exile, General Charles De Gaulle, the leader of the Free French army in exile, also stayed here during the war.
View rates, details, and more images of The Rubens at the Palace >>
Domaine Des Hauts De Loire is located at the heart of the Loir-et-Cher region, between Blois and Tours,
and 2 kilometers from Onzain. The hotel is surrounded by a vast 70 hectare park.
View rates, details, and more images of Domaine Des Hauts De Loire >>
The pool at American Colony Hotel is constructed from Jerusalem stone, lined with Italian glass tiles and landscaped with cascading water features. The pool uses the latest energy, filtration and water saving technology available. It is heated and open from May to October.
View rates, details, and rates of American Colony Hotel >>
Casa San Agustin is located within Cartagena's walled Old Town, and features 24 guest rooms and 6 suites, each taking its color cue from the nearby Caribbean Sea. From original frescoes in the library to centuries-old wood-beamed ceilings in the guest rooms, Casa San Agustín's art and architecture evoke the city's rich history as 17th century Spanish stronghold.
Book a stay at Casa San Agustin >>
Ruzzini Palace was built during the late XVI century and early XVII century, and known as Palazzo Loredan Ruzzini Priuli. It is renowned for its frescoes and paintings, which were created by Gregorio Lazzarini (1655 – 1730). The teacher of Giambattista Tiepolo, Lazzarini's frescoes depicting mythological scenes, "Juno’s Chariot" and "Zephyr and Flora" that today grace the hotel's Royal Suite, were commissioned by Carlo Ruzzini, the 113th Doge of Venice.
View rates, details, and more images of Ruzzini Palace >>
Make your own history at Ruzzini Palace >>
Before the Canadian Pacific Railway steamed into town around 1883, there was little in Calgary other than a mounted police post and a trading center. But with the train came tourists, many on their way to visit to a stay at Pacific's Banff Springs hotel, which is now the Fairmont Banff Springs. Looking to lure these tourists to stop over for a few days, the Fairmont Palliser was built.
The luxury hotel opened as The Palliser on June 1, 1914. It was built in the Edwardian Commercial style. Architect Lawrence Gotch adopted a Chicago look, with straight geometric lines resembling the prairie grain elevators found in Alberta and other prairie provinces. The E-shape of the service floors was designed to provide all rooms with outside lighting and created the appearance of three adjacent towers. The public areas were fitted with oak paneling, candelabras, marble columns and floors, handmade rugs and public art. Ice water, along with hot and cold running water, was available in the 350 guest rooms, which featured mahogany doors, brass beds and windows. Named after Captain John Palliser, who explored the area in the 1850s, the eight-floor building was enlarged in 1929, with another $30 million in renovations and restoration recently made.
Pictured is the the Canadian Pacific Railway Pavilion, built to preserve and showcase Canadian Pacific's history, which is a partnership between the hotel and the railway company. The glass rotunda was inspired by late 19th century railway station design and provides a home for Canadian Pacific's vintage train cars. Catered by the hotel's restaurant, the Pavilion and heritage cars can be rented for private functions and events.
View rates, details, and more images of Fairmont Palliser >>
In 1928, socialite aristocrat David Tennant founded the Gargoyle Club on the top floors of number 69, It was a well-known hangout of politicians, intellectuals, artists and entertainment royalty, including Noël Coward, Tallulah Bankhead and Fred Astaire.
The decadent and lavishly decorated club, which had Henri Matisse’s L’Atelier Rouge on one wall, went into decline by the mid 1950s, although it survived as a drinking den frequented by artists such as Francis Bacon and Lucian Freud. It enjoyed a last hurrah in 1979, when the Comedy Store took over the club, while in the basement Billy’s – then renamed Gossip’s – became a hangout for a new generation of British music stars.
Soho House took possession of the keys to numbers 69 and 70 Dean Street in 2008 and opened Dean Street Townhouse the following year.